Find yourself getting really distracted when you need to get a task done, whether it’s the wanting to check and Facebook or look at that email that just came in? Then you can use the Pomodoro Technique, named after a Pomodoro kitchen timer, and described by Ian in Episode 21 of The Dyslexia Life Hacks Show.
This great technique uses short intervals of time with small brakes that help you, 1) get into a tasks when your are struggling with, 2) get some good quality work/studying with full focus. Then in the brakes you can indulge in social media or what ever takes your fancy. It also give you a break from the screen.
How to use the techniques:
- Eliminate all distractions (yes that does mean putting your phone on silence)
- Set a timer for 25 minutes
- Work on your task
- When the timer is finished, take a 5-minute break
- Get back to work for another 25 minutes
- After 4 work sessions take at longer break of 25 minutes
- Start all over again
Use this as a start and adjust the timings to suit you.
You can either buy a Pomodoro kitchen timer, or a stop watch and there are lots of apps out there that you can use to time.